Sunday, June 28, 2009

The Good the Not-So-Bad and the Ugly

Weekdays: swam 1200 yards in the pool M/W, and biked for over an hour in Tiburon (from Mike's Bike's to Sam's) on Tuesday. Missed coached run/bleacher/core workout at Kezar on Thursday.
Saturday
: Captain's workout: 35 min run and core exercises at Golden Gate Park
Sunday: coached workout in Novato, starting at the College of Marin: swim (including our 10 min time trial) and 1 hr bike ride

The good: Sports Basement in general. I seem to be going at least once every other week, if not every week, and every single person I've interacted with that works there is beyond helpful. I got my bike fit by Rocky the other day which was fantastic- they take all your measurements and make adjustments based on your proportions- my seat had to be significantly raised and it feels exponentially better. Buying gear this weekend was great too. I got the friends and family discount (15%) from this guy Pedro that works in the bike department. Stocked up on a transition bag (right), tri shorts (quick dry shorts with bike padding), tri sports bra, cycle jersey and new swim goggles (which hopefully won't fog up as much as my previous pair). I'm especially excited about the backpack because there are special compartments for both pairs of shoes, wet clothing, the wetsuit, helmet, etc etc.
The not-so-bad: Saturday's swim/bike. We hit the pool in the morning and had a reasonably quick transition and hit the road on the bike- all in the blazing heat of Novato. Felt stronger with my kick in the water and think I did alright with my 10 min time trial (got through 450 yds). Made sure to wear SPF 30 on my back and SPF 70 on my face since I've been out in the sun a lot and didn't want to get burned, but I still got a significant amount of color. The bike was one of the most challenging I've been on. There were more hills than what I've ridden before and it felt really good even though the heat was blazing and I was sweating like crazy. To the left is a picture of Erin and I after our ride, getting ready to go out with 11 people from the team to chow down on an amazing post workout meal at Toast
And the ugly: Running this week... my 35 min run was absolutely brutal on Saturday. Likely because I'm not used to running in intense heat with wind and an incline to boot, but when it comes down to it I definitely need to run outside more so I feel more comfortable with the workouts with the team. I think I might add a couple extra running workouts to my schedule during the week. I kept up with the group for the first half of the run, but toward the end started trailing behind and even walked for 10 seconds about three times.
Also pretty ugly: I fell for the first time with my clip-ins on Tuesday's ride! It wasn't bad but there was definitely blood. I definitely remembered to clip out, but my weight started to tilt toward the right on my clipped-in side and I hit the pavement hard. Could definitely be worse though.


1 comment:

  1. I'm SO proud of you Brianna!! You're making this blog a real journey where we can all join you. You've got a lot of courage and determination and we're cheering you on all the way through to the finish line!!

    ReplyDelete