Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Welcome to Team in Training!

Well it's official- I'm going to be spending this summer season training for my first triathlon (or "tri" as the insiders refer to it) on September 12th at Pacific Grove. It's an olympic distance and I'll be spending the next 4 months training with Team in Training preparing myself for it.
My fundraising goal for the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society with Team in Training is $3,300. LLS is an incredible organization and I'm so proud to have joined such a great program that's able to contribute so much to blood cancer research. After our kick-off meeting at the Oakland Marriott last weekend I had my packet with all the info on TNT on the bus, and a woman sitting next to me introduced herself as a cancer survivor, and wanted to let me know she was so appreciative of all the organization does for cancer patients.
To raise funds I'll be holding a Date Auction event on Wednesday, July 1st and hopefully raise a good amount of money for my fundraising campaign.
I wanted to make this blog to track my progress with my training program. I have absolutely NO experience with endurance sports, and while I consider myself a fairly active person I've never done anything remotely as intense as this. On the info sheet we had to fill out at our kick-off event you had to write a number next to the events you've completed... you know how many times you've completed each of the usual suspects: half marathon, 10k, 5k, century ride, marathon... hmm, nope nope nope nope and nope. When I tell people I'm training for a triathlon, people ask me "so which do you think is your weakest sport?" In truth, the answer should be "ummm all of them."
I swam briefly when I was on the novice waterpolo team freshman year (it never progressed past that because I was exactly that- a novice. One that hugged the sidelines at that), I haven't owned a bike since college (...but I do enjoy spin class!) and although I've run up to 6 miles a couple times in my life, it's usually a struggle to make it past 2.
Luckily our coaches have outlined a specific workout schedule for the next 4 months and with the support system of TNT I feel confident that come September I'll be ready to become a full-fledge triathlete! Looking forward to everything to come, and recording it here!

No comments:

Post a Comment